- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- T: +44 (0) 207 075 1784
Jonathan is an experienced lawyer with a concentration on technology and compliance. His practice includes advising multinational companies on matters involving risk, compliance and technology across Europe. He has handled legal matters in more than 60 countries involving emerging technology, corporate governance, ethics code implementation, reputation, internal investigations, marketing, branding and global privacy policies. Jonathan has counselled a range of clients on breach prevention, mitigation and response. He has also been particularly active in advising multi-national corporations on their response to the UK Bribery Act 2010 and its inter-relationship with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
Jonathan is one of three co-authors of the LexisNexis definitive work on technology law, “Managing Risk: Technology & Communications”. He is a frequent broadcaster for the BBC and other channels and appeared on BBC News 24 as the studio guest on the Walport Review.
In addition to being a lawyer, Jonathan is a Fellow of The Chartered Institute of Marketing. He has spoken at conferences in the U.S., Japan, Canada, China, Brazil, Singapore, Vietnam, the Middle East and across Europe. Jonathan qualified as a lawyer in the UK in 1991 and has focused on technology, risk and governance matters for more than 20 years. In April 2017 Thomson Reuters listed Jonathan as the 6th most influential figure in risk, compliance and fintech in the UK. Jonathan was ranked as the 14th most influential figure in data security worldwide by Onalytica in their 2016 Data Security Top 100 Influencers and Brands Survey. In 2019, Jonathan was the recipient of a Security Serious Unsung Heroes Award for his work in Information Security. In 2020, Jonathan was featured by Onalytica in their Who’s Who in cybersecurity report as one of the world’s top 100 influencers in cybersecurity.
Jonathan is a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England & Wales. In addition Jonathan is admitted as a Solicitor (non-practising) in Ireland.
In a recent ‘Acritas Stars Stand-out Talent’ there was a fantastic response from across the globe. Here are a few of the verbatim comments made by Cordery’s clients when they nominated Jonathan as a stand-out lawyer:
- ‘Real industry experience.’
- ‘He’s the reason we chose the firm for the GDPR [General Data Protection Regulation] compliance. Subject level expertise and lots of commercial, practical experience.’
- He’s a subject expert and very commercial. He understands our industry extremely well.
Areas of Practice
- Computer Law
- Corporate Compliance
- Internal Investigations
- Internet Law
- Product Liability
- Security and Security Breaches
- Working with one of the world’s largest chemical companies on their data protection program. The work involved managing a global program of audit, risk reduction and training to improve global-privacy, data-protection and data-security compliance.
- Advising a French multinational on the launch of a new technology offering in 37 countries and coordinating the local advice in each.
- Advising a well-known retailer on product safety and reputation issues.
- Advising an international energy company in implementing whistleblower helplines across Europe.
- Advising a number of Fortune 100 corporations on strategies and programs to comply with the UK Bribery Act 2010.
- Advising of Financial Services Business on their cyber security strategy. This included preparing a data breach plan and assistance in connection with a data breach response simulation.
- Advising a U.S.-based engineering company on its entry into the United Kingdom, including compliance issues across the enterprise. Areas covered in our representation include structure, health and safety, employment, immigration and contract templates.
- Assisting an industry body on submissions to the European Commission (the executive function of the EU) and UK government on next-generation technology laws. Our submissions included detailed analysis of existing law and proposals on data privacy, cookies, behavioural advertising, information security, cloud computing, e-commerce, distance selling and social media.
- Helping a leading pharmaceutical company formulate its social media strategy.
- Served as counsel to N Brown Group plc, a UK listed retailer and fashion group, in its acquisition of Figleaves Global Trading Limited, which trades as Figleaves.com, an Internet-based retailer of lingerie.
- Advising a leading U.S. retailer on its proposed entry into Europe, including advice on likely issues in eight countries.
- Assisted the Computer & Communications Industry Association on its response to the Information Commissioner’s Consultation on UK data-protection law.
- Working with a leading UK retailer on its proposed expansion into the United States, including advice on online selling, advertising strategy and marketing.
- Dealing with data export issues with respect to ediscovery in ongoing court and arbitration proceedings.
- Advising a number of Fortune 250 businesses on the legality of whistleblower helplines set up to comply with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX) and obtaining statutory registrations for those schemes in various European countries, including Sweden, France and the Netherlands.
- Advising a dual-listed entity on an FCPA investigation in Europe.
- Acting for a U.S.-listed pharmaceutical company in connection with a fraud investigation of its Europe subsidiaries.
- Acting for a well-known sporting-goods manufacturer on setting up its mobile commerce offerings in Europe.
- Comprehensive data protection/privacy projects for a number of significant U.S. corporations, including advice on Safe Harbor.
- Risk analysis for an innovative software application.
- Assisting a major U.S. corporation on its response to one of the first reported data breaches.
- Work on the launch of an innovative new online game for an established board game manufacturer in more than 15 countries.
- Advice on the setting up of Peoplesoft and other online HR programs in Europe, including data protection and Works Council issues.
- Advising a leading fashion retailer in its blogging strategy.
- Advising one of the world’s largest media companies on its data-retention strategy.
- Advising a multinational software company on the marketing, development and positioning of its products in Europe.
- Assisting in the establishment of an innovative dispute resolution scheme to assist U.S. corporations in cross-border data transfers covered by Safe Harbor.
- England and Wales
- Ireland (non-practicing)
- Cordery – Partner, 2014 – present
- Duane Morris LLP – Partner, 2009-2014
- Eversheds LLP – Partner, 2000-2009
- Keeble Hawson – Technology and Litigation Lawyer, 1996-2000
- Smith & Graham – Partner, 1989-1995
- Nottingham Law School, Law Society Finals, 1989
- University of Leeds, LL.B. Law, 1988
- New York State Bar Association– Chair, International Section Rapid Response Committee 2015-present; Vice-Chair, International Section, 2005-2015
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Marketing
- Member of The Media Society
- Special Advisor to the Corporate Executive Programme, 2009-present
- Member of the Advisory Board & Faculty, Georgetown University Advanced eCommerce Institute, Washington, D.C., 2002-2005
- Board of Editors, Cyber Security Law & Strategy
- Board of Editors, The Corporate Counselor, 2010-2016
- Board of Advisors, International Cyber Security Protection Alliance (ICSPA)
- Member of the Levitt Group
Honors and Awards
- Listed in U.K. Super Lawyers, 2013 – present
- Listed in Legal Experts, 2002 – present
- Featured in the International Who’s Who of Internet and Ecommerce Lawyers
- Chartered Institute of Marketing, Alan Brownley Award Winner, 2008
- Regional Finalist, dti/ISI Awards for Innovation in e-commerce, 2000
- Regional Finalist, dti/ISI Awards for Innovation in e-commerce, 1999
- University of Leeds Bedford Cup Winner, 1987
- University of Leeds Bedford Cup Runner-Up, 1986
- University of Leeds Bedford Cup Winner, 1985
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Trustee Sheffield Music Academy, March 2017 – January 2021
- Sheffield Business Club – Chairman, 1999-2000
- President, Hartlepool Junior Chamber (JCI) 1994-1995
- Advisor, Prince’s Youth Business Trust, 1993-1995
- Ransomware: What COVID-19 Means for Upgrading Your Defenses – Law.com, September 2020
- Switzerland cancels Privacy Shield – SCCE, September 2020
- “Trump and compliance”, Corporate Compliance Insights, December 2016
- “Getting the balance right now the big data genie is out the bottle” Computer Weekly, November 2016
- “UK Serious Fraud Office annual report update” Compliance & Ethics Professional, October 2016
- “EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Finalized” The Corporate Counselor, September 2016
- “EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Finalized” Cyber Security Law & Strategy, August 2016
- “BREXIT and Compliance” Society of Compliance and Ethics’ Compliance & Ethics Blog, June 2016
- “Privacy & Cross-Border Data Transfers Got You in a Quandary?” Access Data, June 2016
- “EU Data Protection Regulation: Are we nearly there yet?” Compliance & Ethics Professional, April 2016
- “Tips on complying with EU GDPR” Professional Security Magazine, March 2016
- “What the Romans Teach Us About Cybersecurity” The Analogies Project
- Quoted in “Big Question on Privacy Shield: Will it withstand High Court scrutiny?” http://www.washingtoninternetdaily.com/ March 2016
- “Milestone Reached In UK Bribery and Corruption Enforcement” The Corporate Counselor, February 2016
- “Chapter 5: Specific Compliance & Ethics Risks: The UK Bribery Act 2010”, The Complete Compliance and Ethics Manual – 2016
- “The sinking of Safe Harbor – and navigating the stormy waters ahead” NYSBA International Law Practicum, Autumn 2015
- “The Meaning of the UK’s First DPA” The FCPA Report, December 2015
- “Are data protection class actions becoming a reality in Europe?” Compliance & Ethics Professional, July 2015
- “When will the new European data laws come in?” The Corporate Counselor, April 2015
- “Cookie Law Enforcement: A Half-Baked Idea?,” Daft Blogger, December 2, 2013
- “East vs. West: A New World, New Challenges,” Corporate Lawyer No. 2, May 2010 – Supplement
- “European Proposals To Counter Growing Threats To Cybersecurity,” Financier Worldwide, October 2013
- “New Cybersecurity Laws – Bad for Business?” Daft Blogger, July 14, 2013
- “The Challenges of eDiscovery and Cloud Computing,” NYSBA International Law Practicum, Autumn 2012
- Co-author, “Tougher Revised UK Bribery Act Policies,” The Corporate Counselor, December 2012
- Quoted in “Judge Scheindlin Helps Demystify Foreign E-Discovery,” Law Technology News, December 10, 2012
- “Website Cookie Laws Bring Compliance Issues Across Europe,” Compliance & Ethics Professional, November/December 2012
- “Anti-Corruption and Bribery Compliance: U.S., UK, EU, Prague: How Does It All Fit Together? The UK Perspective,” NYSBA New York International Chapter News, Fall 2012
- “Lloyds to Pay up for Failing to Meet the 40-Day SAR Deadline,” Privacy Laws & Business, September 2012
- “A Special Event Taking Over Your City?” The Corporate Counselor, July 2012
- Interviewed in ” New Bribery Act: Nelsonian Ignorance May Backfire on Companies,” Patria Online, April 25, 2012 (also available in Czech)
- Quoted in “From the Streets to Cyberspace: U.S. Gangs Turn to White-Collar Crime,” Fox Business, October 28, 2011
- “The UK Bribery Act 2010,” The Complete Compliance and Ethics Manual, Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, 2011
- “The New UK Bribery Act: What You Need to Know,” The Corporate Counselor, May 2011
- Quoted in “U.K. Bribery Act Could Mean Prosecution of Law Firm Practices” by Gina Passarella, The Legal Intelligencer, April 4, 2011
- “Chinese Whispers: How to Tackle the Regulatory Risks of Social Media,” Managing Partner, April 2011
- “The UK Bribery Act 2010,” New York State Bar Association International Chapter News, Winter 2010, Volume 15, No. 2
- “Bribery Act Has Data Protection Implications in UK and Abroad,” Privacy Laws & Business, November 2010
- Co-author, “The Challenges of Cross-Border Information Flows,” New York State Bar Association International Law Practicum, Spring 2010
- Interviewed in “What’s Next: The Bulletproof Interview – Jonathan Armstrong on the UK Bribery Act” by Larry Smith, Bulletproof Blog, April 26, 2010
- “Technical Difficulties,” Managing Partner Magazine, April 23, 2010
- “The Beginning of the End for Online Tracking?” Computer Weekly, December 14, 2009
- Co-author, Managing Risk: Technology & Communications, published by LexisNexis
- “Information—the New Trade War?” Managing Partner, June 2009
- “NYSBA survey: Economy is no.1 issue for in-house lawyers” Counsel to Counsel News, October 2008
- “Modern Leadership Techniques Hinder Crisis Management,” Computer Weekly, July 2008
- “Reputation: The New Agenda in Europe,” Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, October 2007
- “Who Steals My Name: The US and EU Response to Data Security Breach,” ACC Docket, June 2006
- “Unlawful SOX Helplines,” The Corporate & Regulatory Newsletter, September 2005
- Co-author, “Personal Data Protection, Policy and Practice in the EU Accession and New Member States”, Centre for Policy Modernisation, Bulgaria, 2005
- “Privacy in Europe: The New Agenda,” Journal of Internet Law published by Aspen Publishers, Inc., November 2004
- “Paid for Placement,” e-law Review, August 2003
- “A Year in eCommerce—Developments in the UK and the rest of Europe 2002,” Journal of Internet Law, Volume 6, No.9, published by Aspen Publishers, Inc., March 2003
- Co-author, “Corporate Governance & Information Assurance: What Every Director Must Know,” published by Information Assurance Advisory Council, October 2002
- “A War in Cyberspace,” The European Lawyer, September 2002
- “Banking and the Internet,” e-law Review, April 2002
- “Internet Security,” International Journal of e-Business Strategy Management, February/March 2001
- “What’s New on the Net,” Law in Business, Winter 2000
- “An Overview of E-Commerce Litigation in England & Wales,” International Journal of e-Business Strategy Management, August/September 2000
- “The Companies Act 1985 and the Internet,” On Line In Print, 1998
Dominican University of California in San Rafael, California – 08 February 2021
- Guest lecturer – Cyber security, extra territoriality and the growth of cyber mercenaries
Cintas Institute for Business Ethics at the Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio – 01 February 2021
- Guest lecturer – GDPR, UK Bribery Act or Comparison of US v. European Ethics Initiatives
NYSBA International Section – Global Conference 2019 – Tokyo Japan – 05-08 November 2019
- Co-chair – Cyber and Data Security: What to Do When Your Company or Your Client is Hacked
- Panellist – Ethical Issues for Lawyers and Law Firms Concerning Cybersecurity
SCCE 18th Annual Compliance & Ethics Institute – Maryland USA – 15 to 18 September 2019
- Host of break-out session – Advanced Learning from the Latest Data Breach Incidents
ICPA EU Conference – London, 15 – 17 May 2019
- Presenter – GDPR and the spate of recent enforcement actions
ACC Europe Annual Conference, Edinburgh 12-14 May 2019
- Chair of panel discussion – Checks and balances to the potential of AI (intended and unintended consequences)
(ISC)² Secure Summit EMEA – 15-16 APRIL 2019, World Forum, The Hague
- Presenter with Cordery Partner André Bywater – GDPR Data Breach Simulation Workshop
NYSBA Annual Meeting, New York 14-18 January 2019
- Presenter – developments in the first 6 months of GDPR
- Panellist – with speakers from Argentine, Brazil, China and the US looking at whether GDPR-style legislation is being exported around the world
12th Annual European AML & Financial Crime Conference, 5 November 2018
- Presenter – Data protection masterclass
New York State Bar Association, Autumn Meeting, Montreal – 23-26 October 2018
- Panellist – Breach and Incident Response – multinational companies responding to a cybersecurity incident – best practices.
Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics (SCCE) Event Las Vegas – 21-24 October 2018
- Panellist – Contrast and compare compliance around the world: discussion on a wide range of issues including cyber threats, bribery and corruption, workforce compliance issues (like modern slavery and immigration), privacy, the increasingly global nature of the media and whether ‘legal’ is ever enough.
Greater Houston Business Ethics Roundtable (GHBER) event – Houston – 10th April 2018
- Presenter – Looking at how the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will affect companies doing business in Europe and in particular, the effects of GDPR on US corporations.
Gibcyber event in Gibraltar – 13th June 2017
- Co presenter with a panel of international experts including Dr Daniel Dresner, Lecturer in Information and cyber security and governance at the University of Manchester – GDPR and information security law
Greater Houston Business Ethics Roundtable (GHBER) workshop – Houston – 13 July 2017
- Presenter – The challenges of data privacy law for US corporations and how that impacts their compliance programs, how the Schrems case brought down Safe Harbor and the threats to the replacement Privacy Shield program, the new European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and how this affects internal investigations and FCPA matters.
Dublin Data Sec 2017 – 3 May 2017
- Co-presenter with Ireland’s Data Protection Commissioner, Helen Dixon on the forthcoming General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
IT Security Analyst and CISO Forum’s CISO Debates 2017 – 17 May 2017
- Chair panel discussion – ‘365 day countdown to GDPR: The ultimate checklist to make sure you’re ready’ together with Carolyn Lees the Global IT Director at Permira and another guest panellist.
The Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics conference – Las Vegas – 18 October 2017
- Pannelist with Kristine Robidoux, QC (Senior Compliance & Regulatory Counsel with Gran Tierra Energy based in Calgary, Canada) and Mary Shirley (Senior Director, Ethics & Compliance, Fresenius based in Boston, USA and Singapore) – ‘Around the World in 80 Minutes’ : compliance challenges that face multinationals comparing the Americas, Europe and Asia.
The Association of Corporate Counsel Europe Annual Conference in Cascais: 7 – 9 May 2017
- Presenter – “After Schrems – Data protection and the new EU data privacy shield”: a look at the impact of the EU Data Privacy Shield that was agreed during the year, and in particular the comments of the EU Data Protection Commissioner on the feasibility of other data transfer mechanisms (e.g. biding contractual rules).
New York State Bar Association International Section Annual Meeting in New York: January 2017
- Presenter – Cross border data security.
- Keynote Speaker, “GDPR and Europe’s New Data Security Regime – All you need to know to comply”, (ISC)² Secure Dubai 2016 conference, 22 November 2016
- Speaker, “Cyber Security: Addressing the People Factor”, Threat Ready Resources Webinar, 3rd November 2016
- Speaker, ” The EU General Data Protection Regulation – Key things that you need to know to get started”, SCCE Webinar, 27th October 2016
- Speaker, “A Special Conversation with Max Schrems”,The New York State Bar Association International Section meeting, 19th October 2016
- Speaker, “Compliancy and security in the cloud – insights on data protection”, Interoute Seminar, 13th October 2016
- Presenter, “EU General Data Protection Regulation”, Ipswitch’s EMEA Roadshow, 12th October 2016
- Presenter, “Yahoo! A Breach Too Far or the Reality of Consumer Privacy in 2016”, InfoSecurity Magazine Webinar, 4th October 2016
- Speaker, “Coping with the ever changing legal landscape – what does it mean for your security department?” Security Serious Week conference, 3rd October 2016
- Presenter, “Big Data, Big Issues: Global Challenges and Effective Solutions”, Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics, Compliance and Ethics Institute , 26th September 2016
- Presenter, “BREXIT, cyber security and GDPR”, InfoSecurity Magazine Webinar, 8th September 2016
- Presenter, “EU General Data Protection” LexisNexis Webinar, 8th June 2016
- Speaker, “Addressing the Legal Challenges of Data Security: EU Data Protection Regulation & Safe Harbor” Qualys Info Security Europe, 8th June 2016
- Speaker, “Global Data Privacy” American Immigration Lawyers Association Global Migration Section Teleconference, 19th May 2016
- Speaker, “Data Transfer and the Schrems Case” New York State Bar Association Regional Meeting, 7th April 2016
- Presenter, “Data Security Technology 101 for Compliance Professionals” SCCE 2016 European Compliance & Ethics Institute, 20th March 2016
- Speaker, “What to Consider When Implementing IT Controls to Comply with GDPR” InfoSecurity Magazine Webinar, 25th February 2016
- Speaker, “What you need to know about the new EU GDPR” SCCE Webinar, 22nd February 2016
- Presenter, “Safe Harbor” Global Strat Webinar, 9th February 2016
- Presenter, “2016 Legal Trends” Irish Consulate New York, 26th January 2016
- Speaker, “Ethics and compliance across borders” New York State Bar Association Annual Meeting, 25th January 2016
- Presenter, “Addressing Legal Challenges of Data Security & the GDPR”, Code42 Webinar, December 2015
- Speaker, “What you need to know about Supply-Chain Compliance with UK Modern Anti-Slavery Legislation”, The Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics Webinar, 8th December 2105
- Speaker, “Key aspects of the recent ruling on Safe Harbor”, The Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics Webinar, 1st December 2015
- Presenter, “Risks, Rules and Regulation”, LexisNexis Webinar, 17th November 2015
- Speaker, “Doing business globally and the challenges of corruption”, New York State Bar Association seasonal meeting, Sao Paulo, 15th October 2015
- Speaker, “Big Data, Big Issues: Global Challenges and Effective Solutions”, The Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics Conference, Las Vegas, 4-7th October 2015
- Speaker, “Everything you wanted to know about Europe’s new data laws but were too afraid to ask!”, CEP Global risk round table meeting, London, 3rd September 2015
- Speaker, “Roundtable on Europe’s new data protection laws”, IT.CAN teleconference, 9th June 2015
- Speaker, “Data protection: putting a policy in place and making sure it works”, The Association of Corporate Counsel Europe Conference, Munich, 1st June 2015
- Speaker, “Social media risks – oversharing, over-relying and ubiquity”, CEP Conference, Malta, 15th May 2015
- Guest Speaker on BBC York talking about social media risk – (interview starts at 2.12) http://bbc.in/1yAiJXf, 16th April 2015
- Speaker, “Data Security Technology 101 for Compliance Professionals”, European Compliance and Ethics Institute conference, London, 29th March 2015
- Guest Speaker on the JVS Show on BBC3CR talking social media liability (from about 20 minutes) and can be heard here – http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001xfs2, 16th March 2015
- Speaker, “Know your Business Partners, Know your Customer! Why businesses risk difficult regions”, The Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics Webinar, 10th March 2015
- Speaker, “Update on sanctions imposed by the EU on Russia”, The Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics Webinar, 10th February 2015
- Speaker, Advisen’s 4th Annual Cyber Risk Insights Conference, London, 10th February 2015
- Panelist, Franco-British Panel Discussion on Fraud Investigations, London, 20th November 2014
- Guest speaker on BBC Three Counties Radio (at 10 minutes 55 seconds) talking bad reviews and fines, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02bgkgp, 19th November 2014
- Presenter, “Data Security: Preparing for the Compliance Landscape of Tomorrow”, Enterprise Mobility Exchange – Absolute Software Webinar, 18th November 2014
- Guest speaker on BBC5 Live (at 1 hour 12 minutes) talking social media law, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04nvbl0, 14th November 2014
- Speaker, “EU Data Protection Regulation – Key Issues & Progress Update”, The Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics Webinar, 6th November 2014
- Speaker (Roundtable), “Global Practice Issues: The Intersection of Anti-Corruption and Technology”, The Eighteenth Annual, Canadian IT Law, Association Conference, 21st October 2014
- Panelist, “Anti-Corruption Statutes”, New York State Bar Association, Vienna, 17th October 2014
- Co-chair, “Privacy Post Snowden Disclosures”, New York State Bar Association, Vienna, 15th October 2014
- Speaker, “International Bribery and Corruption & an update on progress with the Bribery Act 2010”, The Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics Webinar, 6th October 2014
- Speaker, “Data Privacy vs. Data Sharing – is privacy an issue any more, or is it good to share?”, TFPL Connect, London, 23rd September 2014
- Speaker, ELA Global Conference, Chicago, 19th September 2014
- Speaker, “International Data Protection/Cybercrime: Conflict of Laws and Overlapping Sanctions in Different Jurisdictions”, SCCE Annual Compliance & Ethics Institute, Chicago, 16th September 2014
- Speaker, “Anticorruption and Compliance”, Danish Lawyer’s International Committee, Copenhagen, 10th June 2014
- Speaker, Absolute Software EMEA Client Advisory Board, Berlin, 5th June 2014
- Speaker, “Protecting Brand, Revenue and Reputation”, Corporate Executive Programme Annual Global Risk Summit, Barcelona, 1st May 2014
- Panelist, “Protecting Directors, Officers and Employees in the New Era of Enforcement,” 3rd Annual Anti-Corruption Compliance Conference, Toronto, Canada, February 2014
- Speaker, “What Every In-House Counsel Should Know About Data Privacy Laws,” New York State Bar Association, January 30, 2014
- Speaker, “IT.CAN EU Privacy Directive Roundtable,” Canadian IT Law Association Teleconference Call, January 23, 2014
- Participant, “Twitter Chat on International Anti-Corruption Day,” C5 Communications Live Twitter Chat, December 9, 2013
- Presenter, “Recent Trends and Patterns in the Enforcement of the UK Bribery Act 2010 and the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,” Duane Morris Singapore Office, October 2013
- Panelist, “Building Global Partnerships and Opportunities in the New Asia – Vietnam and the USA as a Model for Growth and Success,” New York State Bar Seasonal Meeting in Hanoi, October 2013
- Speaker, “Rule of Law,” New York State Bar Seasonal Meeting, October 2013, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Speaker, “International Developments in Whistleblowing Laws: Cashing in on Tipping Off – Will a US Style of Bounty Rewards Soon Be Making Its Way Across the Atlantic?” Trends in Global Employment Law, October 2013 ( A Joint New York State Bar Association, American Bar Association & Law Society of England & Wales Conference, London)
- Speaker,”UK-Vietnam Anti-Bribery Legislation,” BBGV Hanoi Business Luncheon, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi, October 2013
- Speaker, “Preventing a Cross-Border E-Discovery Disaster,” Exterro Webcast, October 2013
- Presenter, “Social Media for More Patient-Centered, Cost Effective Healthcare Delivery,” MediaInfo 2013, August 2013
- Featured Guest, “Dealing with Cyber Bullying,” BBC Leeds, August 11, 2013
- Featured Guest, “Dealing with Cyber Bullying,” BBC York, August 11, 2013
- Speaker, “Anti-Corruption and Bribery,” Lexis Webinar, June 28, 2013
- Speaker, “The UK Bribery Act 2010—The Toughest Anti-Corruption Standard in the World?” Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics Webinar, June 26, 2013
- Speaker, “Current Cross Border Compliance Trends,” ACT Knowledge Event, Frankfurt am Main, Germany, June 4, 2013
- Panelist, “Data Privacy for M&A Lawyers—How the Comprehensive Information Requirements of Due Diligence Collide With Limited-Purpose Processing Demands of Modern Data Privacy Laws,” American Bar Association, International Law Section and German Bar Association, International Section, Successfully Navigating Hazardous Waters: The Third Conference on Transatlantic Deals and Disputes, Frankfurt, June 3, 2013
- Speaker, “Cross-Border eDiscovery: Insight from the Trenches,” InsideCounsel Webinar, May 22, 2013
- Panelist, “Conflicts between Compliance Programs and Privacy Rights,” Anti-bribery: International Update – Important Recent Developments for Brazil, Sao Paulo, April 16, 2013
- Panelist, “How the past year’s developments have changed the face of corporate compliance; the most important cases,” Anti-bribery: International Update – Important Recent Developments for Brazil, Sao Paulo, (Atualização Internacional – Recentes Desenvolvimentos de Importância para o Brasil) April 16, 2013
- Panelist, “New Developments in the FCPA and U.K. Anti-Bribery Laws,” Metropolitan Black Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association’s Corporate Counsel Committee of the International Section, New York City, March 25, 2013
- Panelist, “Protecting Brand-Specific Investments in International Distribution,” New York State Bar Association International Section, European Regional Meeting, Bergamo, Italy, March 8, 2013
- Featured on “Jonathan Armstrong on Global Regulatory Cooperation,” Levick Daily Video Interview, January 3, 2013
- Panelist, “First, Do No Harm: Preserving and Admitting Foreign ESI,” Georgetown University’s 9th Annual Advanced eDiscovery Institute: Process, Paradigms, and Pragmatism, McLean, Virginia, December 6-7, 2012
- Interviewed on “Today” on BBC Radio 4, November 6, 2012
- Featured on “States Investigate JPMorgan, Citigroup, and Others over LIBOR,” American Public Radio Marketplace Morning Report, August 16, 2012
- Speaker, “Anti-Corruption & Bribery Compliance: Compliance Solutions to Prevent Damage to your Business and Reputation,” The Canadian Institute, Calgary, June 20-21, 2012
- Speaker, “Maintaining & Transferring International Employee Data: U.S. Disclosure Requirements & Non-US Privacy Mandates,” American Bar Association, Section of International Law, Teleconference, May 30, 2012
- Featured on “The Legal Perils of Twitter,” BBC Radio 4 Today, April 24, 2012
- Panelist, “What to Do When Your Organization is the Subject of an Investigation,” The Canadian Institute’s Anti-Corruption and Bribery Compliance Conference, Toronto, Ontario, January 31, 2012
- Panelist, “US, UK, EU, Canada: How Does it All Fit Together?” The Canadian Institute’s Anti-Corruption and Bribery Compliance Conference, Toronto, Ontario, January 30, 2012
- Speaker, “The Future of UK and EU Data Protection Compliance and Security-related Regulations: A Whirlwind Tour of Where It’s All Going and the Implications,” e-Crime Mid-Year Meeting, London, September 15, 2011
- Speaker, “Cloud Computing and the Law: How to Protect Your Data,” BrightTALK webcast, June 16, 2011
- Speaker, “Cloud Computing & the Law: How to Protect Your Data,” BrightTalk Webcast, June 26, 2011
- Speaker, “Everything You Need to Know About the Bribery Act 2010,” REDTRAY™ and Duane Morris LLP joint webinar, May 19, 2011
- Keynote Speaker, “International Practice: Expectations and Practice in the International Business Community,” American Chamber of Commerce in Hungary Transparency Conference, Budapest, Hungary, April 2011
- Speaker, “UK Bribery Act and U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Why Your World Could Change,” British American Business Council seminar, Philadelphia, March 2011
- Panellist, New York State Bar Association Annual Meeting, New York, January 2011
- Keynote Speaker, Association of International Business Lawyers (AIBL), Geneva, Switzerland, November 26, 2010
- Co-presenter, “Dodd-Frank, Bounties, Whistleblowing and the Future of Compliance,” BrightTalk Webcast, October 13, 2010
- Speaker, “Case Study: Duane Morris – Data Security and the perfect storm – The Reality of Emerging Data-Protection Laws and What You Need to Know ,” IDC’s IT Security Conference 2010, London, September 2010
- Speaker, “Protection and FTC’s Safe Harbor Data Protection Agreement,” Global Risk Round Table Meeting, London, September 2010
- “Pushing Product Online: Blogs, Bugs and Behavioral Ads,” BrightTalk Podcast, August 12, 2010
- Panelist, “Compliance Symposium: Ethics in Financial Services, Data Privacy, Anti-Money Laundering and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,” 2010 New York Venture Summit, June 17, 2010
- Panelist, “Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,” New York State Bar Association, International Section, Swedish Chapter, Stockholm, April 26, 2010
- Speaker, “Current Issues for U.S. Corporations Doing Business in Europe and Asia,” Duane Morris Seminar, New York City, March 24, 2010
- Speaker, “Top Tips: Avoid Falling into Legal Black Holes of Cloud Security,” IT GRC Forum Webinar, March 2010
- Speaker, “Data Protection, Data Security and Privacy Law—Recent Developments,” BrightTALK webinar, February 2010
- Speaker, “Data Privacy for Multinationals: New Challenges for International Business,” Law Seminars International TeleBriefing, February 2010
- Panel Co-Chair, “Discovery v. Privacy in International Arbitration,” New York State Bar Association Meeting of the International Section, January 2010
- Speaker, “2010—The Global Compliance Agenda,” BrightTALK webinar, January 2010
- Speaker, “Information Wars—The Challenges of E-Discovery in Europe,” BrightTALK’s E-Discovery: Global and in the Cloud Summit, December 2009
- Speaker, ISACA Information Security and Risk Management Conference Europe, Amsterdam, November 2009
- Speaker, “Control Risks Whistleblowing Program,” London, June 2009
- Panelist, Global Corporate Executive Program, May 2009
- Alan Brownley Award Acceptance Lecture, Chartered Institute of Marketing, Sheffield, November 2008
- Speaker, Retail Events, London, January 2009
- Guest Speaker, “nothing.but.the.net,” Law Society of Scotland, Glasgow, September 2008
- Panelist, “Global Challenges Facing In-House Counsel: Compliance, Class Actions and Costs,” New York State Bar Association International Section Fall Meeting, Stockholm, September 2008
- Speaker and Co-Chair, “High Stakes and Big Challenges-Improving Compliance in Europe,” European Company Lawyers Association, Geneva, June 2008
- Speaker, American Bar Association Global Business Law Conference, Frankfurt, May 2008
- Panelist, “International Ethics: Legal Privilege vs. Professional Secrecy – Cross-Border Implications,” New York State Bar Association International Section Fall Meeting, Stockholm, September 2008
- Panel Chair, “Meeting the Challenges of Global Compliance: Are We There Yet?” Association of Corporate Counsel and Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, New York, October 2007
- Panel Chair, “Meeting the Challenges of Global Compliance: Are We There Yet?” Association of Corporate Counsel, Livingstone New Jersey, October 2007
- Speaker, “Crisis Management,” Tallinn, October 2007
- Speaker, New York State Bar Association International Law & Practice Section Fall Meeting, Shanghai, October 2006
- Speaker, “Model Data Breach Notification Procedure and Payment Card Industry Information Security Standards,” American Bar Association, Tampa, April 2006
- Speaker, New York State Bar Association International Law & Practice Section Fall Meeting, London, October 2005
- Speaker, Personal Data Protection, Policy and Practice in the EU Accession and New Member States, Centre for Policy Modernisation, Sofia, April 2005
- Speaker, “Managing paper trails: in-house counsel best practice and pitfalls,” International Bar Association Corporate Counsel Conference, Amsterdam, February 2005
- Speaker, Association of Corporate Council Europe Annual Meeting, Dublin, June 2003
- Speaker, 4th Annual Georgetown University Advanced e-Commerce Institute, Washington, D.C., November 2002
- Speaker, Global Corporate Counsel Association Annual Meeting, Versailles, June 2002