Jonathan Armstrong joins leading compliance experts in the US again in the latest Everything Compliance podcast hosted by the Compliance Evangelist Tom Fox.
In this episode of Everything Compliance, Matt Kelly, Jay Rosen, Jonathan Armstrong, Mike Volkov and Jonathan Marks come together to highlight what they saw as key issues and questions from 2020 and look forward into 2021.
- Jay Rosen asks “Where have all the monitors gone in 2020?” He believes many companies incorrectly see an independent integrity monitor as an extension of the government.
- Jonathan Armstrong details some of the most instructive GDPR cases decided in 2020. Cases include BA, Marriott and Carrefour. Jonathan discusses why supplier due diligence is critical in data protection and recommends that you clear out old data regularly. He also considers data protection in M&A deals.
- Matt Kelly looks at 3 top issues from 2020. How did these issues impact compliance; the Pandemic, Discrimination & Social Justice and the Election. What will they mean going forward? He asks what will be compliance policy challenges going forward when half the population denies basic facts and science?.
- Mike Volkov looks the record-setting year for FCPA enforcement and says the FCPA was designed for a case like Goldman Sachs. He critiques the mistakes made by Goldman Sachs in dragging their feet in cooperating with the DOJ and other regulators.
- Jonathan Marks looks at the renewed interest of the SEC in books and records as seen in the recent Cheesecake Factory enforcement action. He says the FCPA Accounting Provisions can be the basis of enforcement actions which are neither foreign nor corrupt.
Rants and shout outs
- Jay Rosen rants about the use of the phrase “take off your mask” as a new form of sexual harassment.
- Jonathan Armstrong shouts out to Father Christmas and reminds every one of the Covid-19 danger he faces this year and asked you leave out some hand sanitizer instead of cookies.
- Matt Kelly rants about idiots still contesting the election and reminds everyone Joe Biden will be sworn in as President.
- Mike Volkov shouts out to the 48 state Attorneys General and FTC for filing suit against Facebook.
- Jonathan Marks rants about the Philadelphia Eagles and the imbroglio they find themselves in with quarterback Carson Wentz..
Office: +44 (0)207 075 1784