This week’s episode considers one article which recently appeared in the New York Times, entitled, “Trump Administration Spares Corporate Wrongdoers Billions in Penalties”. Each panelist considers the piece and its underlying principals from their own perspective.
- Jonathan Armstrong considers whether or not the US is losing its role as the global anti-corruption policeman? If it is, will another country step up to take its place? Jonathan rants about UK politicians meddling in UK criminal prosecutions and criminal procedure.
- Mike Volkov considers what, if anything does the article tell you about DOJ enforcement priorities? How do priorities change from administration to administration? What does that mean for line and career prosecutors? Mike gives a shout out to US voters who turned out in record numbers in the recent mid-term elections.
- Matt Kelly considers the enforcement angle from the SEC or other regulatory bodies notably the Federal Reserve and Office of the Currency. Matt gives a very large tip of the hat in his shout out to shareholder activist extraordinaire Evelyn Davis who recently passed away.
- Jay Rosen who works as a vendor in the ethics and compliance space, considers the article from his perspective. He asks whether companies are spending less because of enforcement or is corporate compliance is as robust as ever? Jay has a heavy heart this week in remembering the victims of the massacres at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburg and the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, CA.
For additional reading see the following Cordery news atricles:
The members of the Everything Compliance panel are:
- Jay Rosen– Vice President, Business Development Corporate Monitoring at Affiliated Monitors. Jay can be reached at JRosen@affiliatedmonitors.com
- Mike Volkov– One of the top FCPA commentators and practitioners around and the Chief Executive Officer of The Volkov Law Group, LLC. Mike can be reached at email@example.com.
- Matt Kelly– Founder and CEO of Radical Compliance. Matt can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jonathan Armstrong– Rounding out the panel is our UK colleague, who is an experienced lawyer with Cordery in London. Jonathan can be reached at email@example.com
The host and producer (and sometime panelist) of Everything Compliance is Tom Fox the Compliance Evangelist. Everything Compliance is a part of the Compliance Podcast Network.
Office: +44 (0)207 075 1784