Cyber Security is a rapidly changing environment where increasing numbers of corporations fall victim to attacks from activists, competitors and even other countries’ governments. These attacks are growing in frequency, complexity and ferocity. Companies, large and small, are increasingly a target of sophisticated attempts to steal their data and compromise their systems; exposing them to data loss, fraud, litigation and regulatory sanctions.
Our team has more than a decade of experience of detecting, containing and responding to these attacks. We have assembled a dedicated group of lawyers with vast industry-specific experience and extensive knowledge of the technology, regulatory compliance, media relations, public perception and potential liability issues that come with these attacks. From preventative planning, through discovering a breach and dealing with its aftermath, we help our clients protect themselves, their data, their customers and employees and, most of all, their future.
Recent work includes:
- Dealing with possibly one of the world’s largest ransomware attacks to date
- Looking into allegations of defects in the security architecture for an app
- Dealing with a data breach at a client’s payroll provider. The work involved an independent investigation into the breach including interviews and an on-site visit to the vendor’s premises
- Handling the effects of a payment fraud including looking at the method of attack and the culpability of various individuals involved in the client’s business
- Assisting a client in connection with a data breach at a key supplier providing security services (including using biometrics) at key locations
- Providing assurance on a company’s systems and procedures to demonstrate compliance to its board and investors
- Dealing with a significant compromise of a well-known health related website.
- Advising a Financial Services business on their cyber security strategy. This included preparing a data breach plan and assistance in connection with a data breach response simulation.
- Advising a client in connection with a breach from one of its vendors of data initially regarded as non-sensitive – the subsequent investigation revealed it as being more concerning. We became the contact point for the vendor in mitigating the breach.
- Helping clients put in place data breach plans.
- Dealing with the aftermath of a successful phishing attack which led to significant financial loss for our client.
- Helping a client deal with a security breach compromising sensitive personal data through the improper configuration of a cloud-based service.
- Helping a client engage with regulators after a breach of employee data by one of their HR team.
Our cyber security team can, in appropriate cases, harness the technology and content of LexisNexis UK to gather real-time information on the effects of a breach to better plan the steps you take to minimize its effect.
We have also helped a number of organisations train their employees and third parties in the importance of proper cyber security. We do this face to face and we have also produced short videos such as this one: