Our privacy renewal solution will take the strain from renewing your registration with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and dealing with their queries.
- Manage the renewal process
- Manage enquiries from the ICO
- Additional services available
Your obligation to register with the ICO
The Data Protection Act 1998 requires every data controller (including most corporations with a presence in the UK) who processes personal information to register with the ICO, unless they are exempt. Failure to register is a criminal offence. The number of prosecutions in the UK for non-registration tripled in 2014 compared with 2012. In 2014 there were prosecutions against companies for failing to register and three company directors also received criminal convictions for failing to ensure that their companies maintained their registration.
Manage the renewal process
Each registration with the ICO is only effective for 12 months and so if you’re controlling or processing data at the end of the year you mustn’t delay your renewal. Ensure that your company doesn’t breach the Data Protection Act 1998 by failing to be registered. Cordery can ask the ICO to provide notification of your company’s renewal to us so we can manage this process for you. Our electronic diary management systems mean that we don’t miss a renewal.
Manage enquiries from the ICO
We can be the main point of contact for enquiries from the ICO to ensure that they are handled efficiently and thoroughly. We can also help you deal with requests from other people about the data you hold.
Registering with the ICO is just one of the many steps you need to stay the right side of the law. Cordery can also help you with:-
- reviewing your website’s terms and conditions;
- training your staff;
- auditing your company’s data protection compliance;
- reviewing your cookie usage using specialist software;
- reviewing or writing your cookie use policy; and
- helping you when things go wrong – the ICO can impose fines of up to £500,000 and high fines are now more common. We can help you approach the ICO or support you if the ICO comes to you. We can help you make your case and make representations to mitigate or avoid a fine.
In an emergency our service is available for 24/7/365. You will be assigned three experienced data protection lawyers who know your organisation and are on call to help.
Get in touch here if you would like a quote; we have a range of flexible fee options including a fixed monthly fee service. Click here for more information about Cordery’s Data Protection & Privacy practice.